Saturday, April 24, 2010

Missions

David loved a 'mission'. Something that just had to be done and that only he could do.  My first memory of this - going with him to take his father Tegwyn to work at his tailors in Manchester each Saturday morning - then returning to a grateful family with mixed biscuits and chippolata sausages from Lewis's.  Other missions included.... 
Finding an obscure part for the cooker in Malta (again). Taking round a box of drinks to his parents and in-laws each Christmas. On the search for the best cooked ham in Derbyshire.  Taking me to university for the first time and making a big weekend of it. Fixing computers of friends. BBQs (never a conspicuous success!).  Drumming up business at the Round table stand at the Handforth show.

3 comments:

  1. seem to remember a lot of Jelly Beans too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I was sometimes confused by the motivation... when the London-Manchester trains were useless following the Hadfield crash, he offered to come and meet me at Chesterfield. I said no because it was too much fuss... But actually he REALLY WANTED to do it. Especially as it involved a drive across the Peak District and was, literally, going the extra mile for me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taking doughnuts to the High Peak Labour party office on Wednesday mornings...

    ReplyDelete